Saturday, March 12, 2011

my 2 tablespoons of maple syrup

Boiled down about 1/2 gallon of sap Thursday night. Ended up with a small amount of syrup.Boy is it good!!
I think I got ripped off a couple years ago when I traded some writing for some "real homemade Vermont maple syrup".
It was sweet and tasted good but was very light in color and had almost no maple flavor. Could of been corn syrup for all I know.
Mine is nice and brown and has a strong maple taste. I didn't boil it long enough to get real thick because it is so sweet.
I'm going to invest in some "sugaring" equipment before next year. I have a very large cast Iron pot they used for butchering that should double for boiling down sap, since we are poor and can't afford a new or used pan.

Still clinging to my God and my guns,
Randy

No comments: