Monday, May 16, 2011

Ayn Rand...Atlas Shrugged... Not a Christian value

I have seen reference to Atlas Shrugged my whole time on the net as a prepper. So many times that I finally checked it out of the library and started reading it.
I didn't get very far.
Maybe my mistake was reading the for word where Ms. Rand lays out her militant anti Christian beliefs.
That kind of ruined the rest of the book for me.

Time .com has a great article by Amy Sullivan, called

"An Atheist Icon? Social Conservatives Worried About GOP Ayn Rand Resurgence"


In this article she tells us about what our GOP leaders think of this prominent atheist.
"
  • - Paul Ryan says Ayn Rand is the reason he entered politics and he requires all staff and interns to read her books. Says Ryan: "Ayn Rand more than anyone else did a fantastic job of explaining the morality of capitalism, the morality of individualism."
  • - Clarence Thomas requires his law clerks to watch The Fountainhead, and has said "I tend really to be partial to Ayn Rand."
  • - Sen. Ron Johnson, Ryan's GOP colleague from Wisconsin, calls Atlas Shrugged his "foundational book."
  • - Rush Limbaugh calls Ayn Rand "the brilliant writer and novelist."
  • - Fox News repeatedly promoted the recently released movie version of Atlas Shrugged, airing the trailer on several shows and interviewing cast members.
"
Chuck Colson has a little to say also. Here is his two minute warning video warning.
Then here is his Break Point commentary. Called "Shrug it off"

We have to be diligent to study what our leaders are actually saying when they come to power.
We can't get caught up in backing a party candidate blindly just because he or she has declared themselves red or blue.

Please read the links (they are short)

Still clinging to my God and my guns,
Randy

5 comments:

brosil said...

Well Randy, since she came from a Jewish background with a bunch of Russia Orthodox around in her youth, It's kind of understandable that she might not like Christianity. Throw in that early Commie schooling and it's surprising she turned out as well as she did.
The book is a rough read. Her writing style isn't easy. Still, I've read it about 8 times so far.I feel I can think my way around her philosophy. I read L.Ron Hubbard's books and I don't buy into Scientology either. He's still a good storyteller.

Randy Augsburger said...

I've read battlefield earth 3 times myself.
I can't read SM Sterling either(I've read a couple) since his anti-Christian bias comes through loud and clear.
It is just disturbing to me that "conservative" leaders follow such an unchristian teaching.

Anonymous said...

Found Atlas Shrugged boring. Conservative values? Ayn Rand? I have seen and heard just as many faaaar left friends ballyhooing and singing the praises of this writer. Touting her and themselves as intellectually superior beings ..as superior beings (the "thinking" people). Frightening. really.

Deborah L. Bedard said...

I think you are missing the point of the story. Atlas Shrugged really relates to a country run totally by their government. Not a "thinking" man's reality. This is what happens when a government tells you what to think, when to think/do/be/anything and man loses his ability to live for himself. Freedom of will. I find it a fascinating story and unfortunately in some ways see it happening around this country, regardless of which party line you follow. Both Leftest and Rightest groups claim her message, but for different reasons. Read it for the pure fiction it is and then look at the headlines in your newspaper.

Randy Augsburger said...

My point is not the story itself. It is the fact that so called conservatives are grabbing on to very humanist ideals.
As I responded to Brosil ...I very much enjoyed Battlefield Earth but I will not be grabbing concepts from L. Ron Hubbard to live my life. Same goes for Ayn Rand.